Countdown to Ramadan: Changing one habit at a time
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
So, there are less than 10 weeks to go before Ramadan.
And they say habits take 14-21 days to form (supposedly).
So, if we assume that changing a habit takes 2 weeks, we can change about 5 bad habits to good habits before Ramadan.
So, I thought that perhaps we could all tackle this together because I have a sneaky suspicion that most of us share the same bad habits.
How will this work, you ask?
Well, I was thinking about doing it the following way:
1) I list out a bunch of ideas for the habit that we need to change this fortnight.
2) Everyone votes.
3) The habit that “wins” is the habit that all of us (those that commented) need to start implementing for the next two weeks – for ALL fourteen days. [That's assuming that you are not already implementing it, of course.]
4) I mention subtle reminders about this habit for the next 2 weeks.
5) At the end of the two weeks, everyone (at least those who want to participate) mentions how they did, what difficulties they had and how they overcame them.
6) After this, we move on to changing another habit.
Of course, this all depends on how many people participate…
So, let me start by listing out a list of habits that we could work on. Whoever is interested in participating should vote for the habit that they’d like to start changing first.
1) Wake up for Fajr (early) and not go back to sleep – If we stopped doing that, we would have loads more time and energy on our hands.
2) Stop the caffeine (tea/coffee) addiction – This way, we won’t snooze through the first week of Ramadan (because our bodies are getting used to the lack of caffeine).
3) Recite at least one page of the Quran daily with the translation (for those that don’t understand Arabic).
4) Pray all five prayers at their earliest times – This is one of the best deeds.
5) Walk for at least 15 minutes – If we need energy, we have to do this.
We can use the Habitator to keep track of our daily progress.
So, what do you think? Which habit should we all start with? I’m inclined towards no. 1 as that will end up helping with the remaining 4 in the long run.