Seriously Short Reminder No. 7: Open the doors of success by…
“How, how?”, everyone squeals.
Firstly, we need to understand why the doors of success are closed to begin with.
Shaqeeq Ibn Ibaraheem said:
“The doors of success have been closed upon the creation because of six things:
Their busying themselves with the blessings of Allah instead of thanking Allah for them, their desire for knowledge while they abandon actions, the hastiness to sin and delaying repentance, the deception of having righteous companions and not taking them as examples, the turning away of the dunya from them while they chase it, and the approach of the afterlife towards them while they turn away from it.”
[Al Fawaai’d by Ibn Al Qayim: P. 161, Refer to: http://www.madeenah.com/article.cfm?id=1006]
So, how do they open? Well, according to the above statement, we need to:
1) Be grateful to Allah and use His Blessings to obey Him, not to disobey Him.
2) Apply the knowledge that we gain and understand that knowledge is not the end, but rather the means (to worship Allah in a better manner).
3) Stop sinning. If we sin, we need to repent to Allah ASAP.
4) Get righteous companions and try to follow them in their righteous actions. We need to have these sort of friends in order to improve ourselves, not to show others that we are “pious”.
5) Stop worrying about this dunya (wordly life) and start worrying about the afterlife.
6) Remember that death will overtake us and prepare for it.
Tres facile, non?