Skip to content

January 29, 2011

Three things…

by Umm Muawiyah

Assalamu Alaikum.

What “three things”, you ask?

Well, I was planning to tell you….

You know how we always have this “my life sucks so much, how do I start rectifying it” sort of attitude? We always think: “I will be a great Muslim one day” but we don’t know where to start.

Well, I think we could summarise all the “self-development” points mentioned in the Quran and  the Sunnah into three main categories:

1) Improve our ibaadah

– That includes prayers, charity, fasting, reciting the Quran, reciting the required adhkar (remembrances), doing dua etc.

– It also includes seeking knowledge.

– It also includes actions of the heart such as tawakkul (relying upon Allah), fearing Allah, loving Allah, etc

2) Decrease sinning

Yes, we have to do this. Otherwise, we’ll just cancel out our good deeds with the evil deeds!

– Avoid all major sins. If we stumble, we need to repent immediately.

– Avoid minor sins as much as possible. We need to try to recite the adhkar that expiate for our minor sins.

Note #1: What are the major sins? In order to avoid them, we need to know what  they are.*

[*Want a series on this? After I finish all the pending ones, of course, insha-Allah….]

Note #2: Major sins are not expiated by doing good deeds. That’s just for minor sins. Major sins are only expiated through repentance, and repentance is not accepted if you do not stop doing that major sin.

3) Be helpful to those around us.

– Includes displaying good manners and controlling our tongues.

– Includes social work of any kind.

– Includes dawah as well.

How do we start with making our “great Muslim” vision come true? Well, we could try to improve in each category step by step.

Okay, I should point out that this is the way that I categorise it for myself as it’s easier to think “I need to work on three things” rather than “I need to work on a hundred things”. This is my personal approach so I wouldn’t want anyone to think that I was quoting a scholar.

I’ll explain why I categorised the points in this way in a future post, insha-Allah.

What do you think? Is it an easy way? Or are there some errors in it?

Comments are welcome.*

[*I always say that but nobody comments.]

7 Comments Post a comment
  1. Shireen
    Jan 30 2011

Yep this sounds easier with just three categories. Inshallah will look forward to your next post

2. Razina
    Jan 30 2011

MashaAllah lovely piece of advice,good naseehah for our children.
    May Allah give us hidaya to follow these steps to become a better muslimah.
    Jazakallahu khairan for sharing it with us.

3. Umm Abdillah
    Jan 30 2011

Assalamu alaykum, I think a series on major sins would deifnately be helpful. I also think a step by step approach is more likely to be effective inshallah.
    The kids really liked the tafsir of Surah Al Falaq on the tafsir blog, do you know of any others by the same speaker?Do you know of any videos in similar format for arabic language and grammer?
    Jazakillah khayr.

• Umm Muawiyah
      Feb 16 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam.

Insha-Allah, I’ll try to start that series soon.

I’ll reply to the tafsir question in the tafseer blog, insha-Allah (you left a comment there).

4. Um ALeena
    Jan 30 2011

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Masha Allah it is an excellent reminder that each one of us have to be concious of in every single second that passess by us, of all the three things you quoted. Being with the QUrán as much as possible, having QUrán in our heart as many sura you can, remembering of Allah every single minute is a must and very important, As next minute are we very sure we are going to be alive, or be in a position to do our Ibaadah. Having these three things stamped in out mind Insha Allah, our last deed will be a good deed since we are concious of Allah SWT every minute. May ALlah rewart the sister for her effort in educating all of us in facts that we really deserve to know so that we correct ourselves so that we are granted Jannah. Ameen. May Allah make us die with the righteous and may Allah help us to make our last deed to be the best deed. Ameen

5. Aliya
    Feb 3 2011

Asalaam alaikum

A nice way of putting it…and easy for us to keep in mind. This will help inshaAllah.

Jazakillahu Kheira

6. Umm Muawiyah
    Feb 16 2011

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters.

Jazakunnallahu kheira for all your input and kind words.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.