Ramadan 2011 Prep Tip #1: Know your goals…
The Greatest Month is 4.5 months away so we need to start preparing.
Before we start preparing, we need to know what our goals are.
Firstly, what kind of shape (spiritual, emotional, physical, etc) do we want to be in by the end of Shabaan?
Secondly, what goals do we have for the month of Ramadan itself?
For example, someone might want to memorise Juz Amma (30) and Juz Tabarak (29) by the end of Shabaan. In Ramadan, they might want to memorise Juz Qad Samia (28).
Or a person might want to get up for Fajr on time everyday. In Ramadan, their goal might be to wake up 40 minutes before the adhan of Fajr so that they can do a few rakahs of tahajjud (night prayer) and then eat suhoor (the pre-dawn meal).
So, we could take the following steps:
1) Get a dedicated notebook for this. (Check out last year’s post on keeping a Ramadan journal.)
2) Ask yourself what kind of position you want to have in the hereafter. Please be very ambitious and aim for the top!
3) In order to attain that position in the hereafter, what do you need to do in this dunya (wordly life)? What’s stopping you from doing these things and how can you deal with them?
4) What goals do you need to set this year in order to get that high level of iman in this dunya?
5) How do you see yourself at the first day of Eid? What would you liked to have achieved?
6) In order to have that awesome Eid, what must you have done in Ramadan?
7) In order to have had an awesome Ramadan, what must you have done in the months preceding Ramadan?
8) In order to attain all the above, where do you need to be NOW?
Phew…that was exhausting, wasn’t it?
We do need to think backwards though. It makes things clearer.
So, we need to visualise and then write.
After this, we need to do dua 1) that we reach Ramadan 2) for all the things that we want to attain. (Please read this post on preparing a dua list.)
Ramadan 2011, here we come, insha-Allah.