Skip to content

May 18, 2011

Countdown to Ramadan: Changing one habit at a time

by Umm Muawiyah

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Assalamu Alaikum.

So, there are less than 10 weeks to go before Ramadan.

And they say habits take 14-21 days to form (supposedly).

So, if we assume that changing a habit takes 2 weeks, we can change about 5 bad habits to good habits before Ramadan.

So, I thought that perhaps we could all tackle this together because I have a sneaky suspicion that most of us share the same bad habits.

How will this work, you ask?

Well, I was thinking about doing it the following way:

1) I list out a bunch of ideas for the habit that we need to change this fortnight.

2) Everyone votes.

3) The habit that “wins” is the habit that all of us (those that commented) need to start implementing for the next two weeks – for ALL fourteen days. [That’s assuming that you are not already implementing it, of course.]

4) I mention subtle reminders about this habit for the next 2 weeks.

5) At the end of the two weeks, everyone (at least those who want to participate) mentions how they did, what difficulties they had and how they overcame them.

6) After this, we move on to changing another habit.

Of course, this all depends on how many people participate…

So, let me start by listing out a list of habits that we could work on. Whoever is interested in participating should vote for the habit that they’d like to start changing first.

Here goes:

1) Wake up for Fajr (early) and not go back to sleep – If we stopped doing that, we would have loads more time and energy on our hands.

2) Stop the caffeine (tea/coffee) addiction – This way, we won’t snooze through the first week of Ramadan (because our bodies are getting used to the lack of caffeine).

3) Recite at least one page of the Quran daily with the translation (for those that don’t understand Arabic).

4) Pray all five prayers at their earliest times – This is one of the best deeds.

5) Walk for at least 15 minutes – If we need energy, we have to do this.

We can use the Habitator to keep track of our daily progress.

So, what do you think? Which habit should we all start with? I’m inclined towards no. 1 as that will end up helping with the remaining 4 in the long run.

39 Comments Post a comment
  1. Mona
    May 18 2011

either 3 or 4 please!

May 18 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

That was fast. You weren’t kidding when you said that you spent ages on my blogs….

2. Maria
    May 19 2011

I vote for number 3 (I want to break myself in gently!)

3. Aliya
    May 19 2011

Asalaamu alaikum

As inclined I was towards point 5, I think point 1 is most probably the most challenging for me, because as soon as I read Fajr (which is straight after the adhan) I go back to sleep before getting up for work a couple of hours later. So, this will sure be a challenge for me, but a step in the right direction insha’Allah.

However, happy to go with the majority vote.

4. ummrayan
    May 19 2011

wa alaikummassalam
    I would vote for 1 and 3

5. Fathima
    May 19 2011

Wa’alaikum Assalam

I’d like to pick No. 1 please.
    There was a time I used to stay awake after Fajr, but these days it’s so early that I convince myself a quick ‘cat-nap’ after I pray will leave me feeling refreshed for the rest of the day. Of course that doesn’t happen, and I wake up well after sun rise, and feel positively lethargic the rest of the morning! So yes, this is one habit I would like to break inshaAllah.

6. Anonymous
    May 19 2011

I’d pick 1. That is the most challenging one, I guess. Please do include some practical stuff for putting these habits into practice in your future posts.
    I don’t take tea or coffee so 2s gone. I do read the Qur’an daily with the help and blessings of Allaah Azzawajal so that’s gone too.
    For the prayers at the earliest time, since the mosques in my area are all Hanafi, I usually can’t do that. So 4s also gone.
    In short, I’ve got 1 and 5 to work on. Though for 5, since I go to the mosque on my bike and it takes me on average around 3 minutes, I ride my bike for (5*3=)15 minutes so I could count that in too instead of 5.
    I used to stay awake after Fajr but ever since I changed my routine for a couple of days a couple of months ago for a university admission test I had to give, I find it difficult.
    Jazakallaah khair for your posts!

May 20 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

Wa iyaak.

Well, if you pray with the jamaah, I think that this would count for you as praying at the earliest time. I’ll recheck with a shaikh and let you know, insha-Allah.

7. umm Tariq
    May 19 2011

Assalam Alaikum. I would go fot number 1.

8. Umm Moosa
    May 19 2011

Walaikum assalaam,
    I vote for number 1. Been finding it very difficult these days.
    Jazakillahu khayran

May 20 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

Wa iyaaki.

9. Umar Farooq
    May 19 2011

3 (VERY important) and 5. (can 5 be tweaked a bit to include workout or thats not an option?)

I hope the following fortnights (may be you are waiting for sha’baan) include voluntary fasts.

as-salaamu ‘alaiykum

May 20 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

It can be tweaked to include anything because I said “at least” 15 minutes, and a full workout would be much more beneficial than a little walk.

10. Umar Farooq
    May 19 2011

As for brother anonymous, in your case i guess whatever time the jamaah is held, will be counted as earliest time for you, because Allaah does not burden a soul beyond its scope, except in case of ‘asr, which they delay too much, like 90 mins from start time or more, you should, as per the hadeeth of Saheeh Muslim, offer by yourself or whoever you can find to pray along with you, but if you happen to find yourself with brothers who pray late, when its time for their jamaah, you shouldnt say you have prayed already (to avoid fithnah), but join them and that will be nafil for you, as the hadeeth adds. But the tricky part is theres no salaah between ‘asr and maghrib, so can anyone (who knows) point out a principle of fiqh in this situation?

I learnt of:

1) Prohibitions are given precedence over permissibility

2) Obligations are given precedence over prohibitions.

Dont know which one, or if any other applies in this case.

Here’s the hadeeth:

Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said to me: How would you act when you are under the rulers who would delay the prayer beyond its prescribed time, or they would make prayer a dead thing as far as its proper time is concerned? I said: What do you command? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Observe the prayer at its proper time, and if you can say it along with them (as well) do so, for it would be a superetogatory prayer for you. Khalaf (one of the narrators in the above hadeeth) has not mentioned” beyond their (prescribed) time”. (Saheeh Muslim Book #004, Hadeeth #1353)

May 20 2011

Assalamu Alaikum Brother.

I have a few questions if you don’t mind:

1) Are you saying that the Hanafis do their Asr prayer 90 mins after the adhan??

2) Which hadeeth in Sahih Muslim are you referring to?

3) As 90 minutes is still within the permitted time, wouldn’t it be better to pray the fard with the jamaah?

As for the “no prayer between Asr and Maghrib”, there’s a difference of opinion of whether mustahabb prayers like the 2 rakaahs for entering the masjid, etc fall under this category.

I’ll ask a shaikh this question and let you and the brother know, insha-Allah.

Jazakallahu kheira.

• Umar Farooq
        May 20 2011

Wa alaiykum as salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

1)Hanafees give their adhaan fifteen mins before their jamaah, which is held 90 mins or more after the actual start time*(*which is when the adhaan is supposed to be given.)

They follow the opinion that ‘asr is when the length of the shadow, is twice the object’s length, in contradiction to the other 3 madhaahib, which have inshaa Allaah correctly deemed ‘asr to be when the length of e shadow is equal to the actual length of the object.

2)The hadeeth I was referring to is already posted at the bottom of my last post.

3)What do you understand from the apparent meaning of the hadeeth? Isn’t it referring to delaying it until when the time is almost up? While its okay to do it once in a way (for a valid reason), it is their trend, besides, its sunnah to pray ‘asr early (and ‘Aaisha, radhi Allaahu anha narrated reports concerning that). I understand it’s better to pray in jamaah in general even if you are able to pray alone at an earlier watch, but in this case, I have come across scholars locally in Bangalore who have opined you have to act such (offer ‘asr at its preferred time either in a mosque where they offer early (which are a handful in India) or if you can find only hanafee mosques around you, offer early yourself, and if you find yourselves amongst them when its time for their jamaah, offer with them as well, as the hadeeth continues to say.)

As for tahiyyatul masjid, the correct view is that its fardh and not “mustahabb”. Indeed the hanafees came up with “mustahabb” to not perform this prayer and Allaah tested them with a bid’ah and they are seen now prostrating twice when they enter the mosque before sitting instead of offering this prayer. And the refuge of Allaah is sought.

As for no prayer between ‘asr and maghrib, im aware that there is a difference of opinion between scholars whether the “sunnah” (i prefer using that word) prayers can be prayed between those times or not (like istikhaara and so on). Wallaahu ‘alam but i personally prefer the view that no prayer (period) should be offered because of the general meaning of the hadeeth. If there were exceptions, the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu ‘alaiyhi wa sallam) would have mentioned them, as there was a need for explanation at this juncture. BUT Allaah knows best.

As-salaamu ‘alaiykum wa rahmatullaahee wa barakaatuh

May 21 2011

Assalamu Alaikum Brother.

2) Ah I see, my apologies. I thought that you were referring to a hadeeth about the Asr prayer.

However, perhaps it is different where you are and you have a shorter time between Asr and Maghrib?

And I just checked out this issue in Bidaayat Al-Mujtahid. The author states that the majority maintain that these two rakaahs are recommended and not obligatory. He points out that the DHAAHIREES said that it was obligatory.

There’s an online version of the English translation here: http://www.kalamullah.com/bidayat-al-mujtahid.html

The required part is in Volume 1, pages 237-238.

Allah knows Better.

• Umar Farooq
          May 21 2011

Wa alaiykum as salaam wa rahmatullaahee wa barakaatuh,

You quoted “1) Yes, I have a vague memory of their version of the whole shadow issue but it never occurred to me that it would extend the beginning of Asr to *90 mins* after its original time.”

Ans. The jamaah is held (at least) 90 mins after “actual start time*” (*inshaa Allaah), as it is not considered by them as the actual start time.

You quoted “3) Well, this is where I got confused. In Dubai, Asr is currently at around 3:45 and Maghrib is at around 6:57. So, even if we prayed the Hanafi way, the prayer would be done at 5:15 which is more than an hour and a half ahead of the Maghrib time, so I wouldn’t call that as the time being “almost up”.”

Ans. Yes, the space is similar here and they at least have an hour gap (if not more) between when they say the iqaamah (for ‘asr) and maghrib. You have a valid point but some scholars consider this delay excessive, however, I do not disagree with you.

You quoted: “4) Well, I wouldn’t spoil the Hanafees name in this way. I hadn’t heard of the “tahiyattul masjid is fard” until I read your comment. All my teachers (who were mostly Hanbali) took it as being mustahabb. Also, there is an explicit narration from one of the Sahaabah pointing out that witr is not fard because there are ONLY 5 fard prayers so…”

Ans. My intention wasn’t to “spoil” their name. I never said witr was fard, i agree there are 5 (all time) fard prayers. Tahiyyatul Masjid is however situationally fard.

The explicit evidence for that is:

“When any one of you enters the Mosque, he SHOULD NOT SIT DOWN UNTIL he has prayed two rak’ahs” (Saheeh – agreed upon)

“Jabir b. ‘Abdullah reported: Sulaik Ghatafani came on Friday when the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was delivering the sermon. He (Sulaik) sat down. He (the Holy Prophet) said to him: 0 Sulaik! Stand and observe two rak’ahs and make them short, and then said: When any one of you comes on Friday, while the Imam delivers the sermon, he should observe two rak’ahs and should make them short. (Saheeh Muslim Book #004, Hadeeth #1903)”

Once this has reached us, it does not matter who holds what opinion, this is the view of the Messenger of Allaah and the correct view.

You quoted: “Insha-Allah, I’m waiting for the proof from your side that 1) it was the Hanafis who came up with the “mustahabb” issue and 2) that the “tahiyyatul masjid” is fard is the opinion of the majority of scholars and is the correct opinion.”

Ans. I consider myself a student of your blog and I was not going to run away after quipping something.

1.It appears that you have interpreted my statement to mean: it was them who originally classified this prayer to be merely “mustahabb” and others followed suit. This is NOT what i meant. I meant to say, that they use this word “mustahabb” to bring down the importance of this command. You will find them using “mustahabb” and “makrooh” concerning some clear rulings. I can at least speak for the hanafees in India sister.

2)I have already addressed this (concerning tahiyyatul masjid) above.

You quoted: “5) Well, as for praying after Asr, there ARE narrations that show that he did sometimes pray after them. So one group used this as evidence that you can but another said that it was only for the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam).”

Ans. Maa shaa Allaah, I’m aware there are narrations about him (may Allaah shower his blessings and peace on him) praying after ‘asr.

Let me share what Shaiykh Albaanee’s manhaj was, when there was a difference between a command from the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his action, below. This is with regards to two rak’ahs that he (alaiyhis-salaam) prayed after witr, and i quote (Shaiykh Albaanee – rahimahullaah):

“The evidence for these two rak`ahs is found in Saheeh Muslim and others as a practice of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam), but they oppose his saying: Make the last of your prayer at night odd (witr) transmitted by Bukhaari and Muslim. The scholars have differed in reconciling these two hadeeth, none of them being convincing to me, ***so the most cautious thing is to leave the two rak`ahs in compliance with the command of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam)***. Allaah knows best.

Later I came across an authentic hadeeth which had a command for two rak`ahs after witr, so the order of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam) agrees with his action, and the two rak`ahs are validated for everyone; the first command is thus one of recommendation, not negating the two rak`ahs. The latter hadeeth is given in Silsilat al-ahaadeeth as-saheehah (1993) – see Appendix 7.” End Quote “The Prophet’s Prayer”

Umar: So even though we see Shaiykh Albaanee later found a hadeeth which allowed 2 rak’ahs after witr, we learn that: in absence of his verbal approval of an action of his, that contradicts his command, it is safest to forego his action in compliance of his command.

Allaahu Musta’aan

PS: I did not find the need to read excerpt from: “Bidaayat Al-Mujtahid” concerning this issue (the status of tahiyyatul masjid.)

Jazakillaahu Khaiyr for your amazing posts. When is the blog for new muslims coming up? Think of a virtual “blog course” they’ll have to refer to, even if they join late.

As-salaamu ‘alaiykum

May 30 2011

Assalamu Alaikum Brother.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the very late reply.

Secondly, I called a shaikh and asked him about the brother’s case.

He pointed out that the Hanafees (not all obviously) have issues with aqeedah in these times. So if the masjids in this brother’s area are run by people who have faulty aqeedah, he should refrain from praying with them. The shaikh said that it would be better for him to pray at home.

I think he also said something about putting up an Ahlussunnah masjid.

So, you mentioned something about praying in one of the other masjids if you are in another place. Based on the shaikh’s advice, I think it would be better to pray alone (although it is permissible to pray behind an innovator).

As for the hadeeth that you mentioned below about praying with one more person, Allahu alam.

I know that one of my teachers had pointed out that the prayer rooms that we have in the malls (here in the UAE) are not masjids, and the men need to pray in the masjids.

So, if this is a case with a prayer room, then it would be the same case with praying with another person at home, wouldn’t it? I think it would be better if you got a fatwa directly from a person of knowledge.

Thirdly, regarding the ruling on Tahiyyatul masjid, there is a difference of opinion as I said. [And jazakallahu kheira for bringing this issue up, because until you mentioned it, I had no idea that there was a difference of opinion.]

The majority of scholars are aware of those ahadeeth as well as the usool al fiqh principles like “a command means waajid unless proven to be mustahabb”.

They said that the fact that the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) only mentioned 5 fard prayers in various narrations, shows that there cannot be more than 5 so Tahiiyyatul Masjid is not fard.

That’s what I meant with the witr issue, my apologies for not being clear. The Sahabee (in the hadeeth that I was talking about) used the 5 fard only as proof that witr was not fard.

The dhaahirees on the other hand pointed out that these 5 fard were regards to TIME whereas Tahiyyatul masjid was with regards to place.

So, who’s right? Allah knows Better.

From our perspective, we should understand that:

a) This is a valid dispute and so it should not lead to fights.

b) It is better to do tahiyyatul masjid all the time so as to be on the safe side.

Also, brother, it would be better to say “I consider the correct ruling to be…” rather than saying “The correct ruling is…”. Just an advice.

Fourthly, about the Indian Hanafees and their lightening the makrooh and mustahabb issues, I think that this is because of their aqeedah issues and not because of their madhab. There are many Hanafees who are from Ahlusunnah who don’t say this and there are many non-Hanafees from Ahlu Bidah who do this (i.e lighten makrooh, etc).

So, it has to do with a deficiency in aqeedah and in the case of the Indian Hanafees you mentioned, perhaps their deficiency in aqeedah, leads to their being very extreme when it comes to madhhab issues. Allahu alam.

Fifthly, yes, that’s not just Shaikh Al-Albani’s (rahimahullah) view (of taking precedence of the command over the action) but the view of many scholars.

Still, there is a lot of debate over the issue of praying after Asr.

Sixthly, I’m currently working on the new Muslim blog and trying to improve it. I hope that I can put it up soon, insha-Allah.

Jazakallahu kheira.

11. Umar Farooq
    May 19 2011

Sister,

Why cant the ones who dont qualify or already have this habit, concentrate on the one they chose from these 5.

For example:

– I work night shifts, so it doesnt apply to me. After Fajr IS my sleeping time.

– I know someone who doesnt sleep after fajr, so they can do whats bothering them most from the rest of the 5.

That doesnt hamper participation, cos we can still tell how we did at our habits at the end of the period but, dont you think 21 days is way too many with ramadaan 10 weeks to go? 14 sounded more neat. lets keep a rule, that previous habits need to be carried over and added on to the habit of the forthcoming fortnight. that way we can accomodate more habits while not letting go of any we previously acquired. inshaa Allaah

May 20 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

Well, generally speaking, anyone can choose a habit that they want.

However, for the purpose of encouragement, I thought that it would be a good idea for people to do one thing together so they feel like they are part of a group.

Yes, I know that some already do one of the five. I do no. 3 already but I put it there anyway due to its importance.

I recall you mentioning that you work night shifts. I was actually going to mention something in Part 2 for those that do night shifts.

I chose 21 days because it’s the first habit (if people do it, it’ll give them confidence; if they fail, the other habits are going to be a tall order) and the most difficult one of the lot for most people.

Yes, I intended that we should continue with our habits all the way through Ramadan. So we would be practising habit no.1 for 10 weeks before Ramadan, insha-Allah.

12. umm kashifa
    May 21 2011

Assalamualikum sister,

Glad to find your article for an early start this Ramadan, Insha Allah. I vote for habits no. 1 and 4

waiting to get started, Insha Allah

May 30 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam Sister.

I’m glad that you want to join in.

We’ve already started. Please refer to the posts after this one…

13. umm abdillah
    May 21 2011

i vote for 1 or 4 please. really want to be able to stay awke after fajr. what abt trying to wake for tahajjud too?

May 30 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

Yes, waking up for tahajjud is on the plan but first we want to make sure that we are regular for Fajr, insha-Allah.

14. Ume Abdullah
    May 21 2011

Assalam alaikum
    jazakillah khair sister for this wonderful initiative, may it help all of us to improve. I’d opt for no 1 and also for tips on how to manage it inshaAllah.
    I had a suggestion for another habit that bothers a lot of people i know and is required to be overcome specially for the month of Ramadan and that is the habit of Anger and letting our tongue run loose in it.
    As I thought that along with personal habits, our akhlaq also needs improvement.
    wassalam

May 30 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam.

Wa iyaaki.

Insha-Allah, I’ll talk a bit about anger (and how aqeedah and ibaadah can improve it) in a future post.

I believe that getting up for Fajr and doing the required acts of ibaadah after it, will help a person manage his or her anger.

15. razina
    May 22 2011

Assalamalaikum and jazaakumullahu khairan 4 comin up with such brilliant ideas 2 prepare ourselves 4 da most blessed month.Yes I am in for the change insha Allah,and not going back to sleep after fajr sounds gr8.

May 30 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam.

Wa iyaaki.

16. Umar Farooq
    May 22 2011

As-salaamu ‘alaiykum.

I would also like to post a hadeeth as food for thought.

“‘Ala’ b. ‘Abd al-Rahman reported that they came to the house of Anas b. Malik in Basra after saying the noon prayer. His (Anas) house was situated by the side of the mosque. As revisited him he (Anas) said: Have you said the afternoon prayer? We said to him: It is just a few minutes before that we finished the noon prayer. He said: Offer the afternoon prayer. So we stood up and said our prayer. And when we completed it, he said: I have heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) saying: This is how the hypocrite prays: he sits watching the sun, and when it is between the horns of devil, he rises and strikes the ground four times (in haste) mentioning Allah a little during it. (Saheeh Muslim Book #004, Hadeeth #1301)”

Based on this hadeeth do you see any harm if one prays with at least one more person (if not more) to catch the preferred time for ‘asr (rather than wait for jamaah much later) on a REGULAR basis?

After the point you made, if I’m not able to catch ‘asr at a salafee masjid (because of not finding one near me at the time where i am), and neither find anyone to pray along with (at home or elsewhere), I guess it will be safer to wait to join the jamaah at 5:15 pm (which is the current time of their ‘asr.), than pray indivdually, because, like you said, technically, the time for ‘asr is still there, although certainly not the preferred time, wallaahu ‘alam.

17. Shariqa
    May 22 2011

Assalamualikum

JazakALlah Khair for this initiative.first one is the worst habit i want to get out of….InshaAllah

wasalam

May 30 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam.

Wa iyaaki.First one it is…

18. Umar Farooq
    May 22 2011

Usool ul-Fiqh
    by Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmân ibn Nâsir as-Sa’dî

[Risaalah Lateefah Jaami’ah fee Usoolil-Fiqhil-Muhimmah, which is part of Manhajus-Saalikeen wa Tawdeehul-Fiqh bid-Deen]

Chapter 5

The asl (fundamental principle) concerning commands in the Book and the Sunnah is that they are indicative of a wujoob (obligation), except if there is an evidence to indicate to it being mustahabb (recommended) of mubaah (permissible) The asl concerning prohibitions is that they are indicative of tahreem (forbiddance), except if there is an evidence indicating it being makrooh (hated).

The asl governing kalaam (speech) is that it is to be taken upon its haqeeqah (literal sense). So it is not to be turned away from it to its majaaz (figurative meaning) – if we accept this – except when it is impossible to employ its haqeeqah (literal meaning)”

19. Rubina
    May 28 2011

AA
    Jazaak ALlah for the good work.
    Sister i vote for the no. 1 habbit start with.

Wasalam

May 30 2011

Assalamu ALaikum.

Wa iyyaaki.

20. umm ibrahim
    May 29 2011

Assalamu Alaikum,

Jazakumullahu khair for this wonderful work.

to achieve anything successful u have to get prepared.by taking this initiative even if v do not become perfect v will atleast go near to becoming perfect.since Allah rewards for the niyaat v do atleat keepin this in mind v should start will all t he good work from today itself.
    coz of shorter nights its a little difficult to follow the first one but if v make up our mind i think i will not b far when Inshallah v by Allahs grace will b able to achieve it.

May 30 2011

Wa Alaikum Assalam.

Wa iyyaaki.

Yes, that’s an excellent point, sister. Jazakillahu kheira for your inout.

21. asiya
    Jun 7 2011

well done

Aug 12 2011

Assalamu Alaikum.

Sorry for the late reply.

Jazakillahu kheira.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.