Yes, I know. You read the title and thought: “WHY is talking about this subject on her blog???”
A question to you: Why SHOULDN’T I be talking about this subject on my blog?
1) This blog is supposed to tackle all the issues surrounding fasting and Ramadan.
And believe me, masturbation is an issue that keeps coming up when people discuss Ramadan.
2) Many people are ignorant of the ruling on masturbation (it’s prohibited by 99% of the scholars).
I was teaching in class once and this issue came up. One of my students asked me if there was an expiation (kaffarah) for masturbating in Ramadan. I was quite surprised by the question and I didn’t have the answer so I said that I would get back to her. So I did and I found the answer.
3) Many people are too shy to ask about such matters.
Allah is not shy of the truth so I wonder why we are?
It’s interesting that there so many people out there who will never discuss these sorts of issues under the pretext of “piety” or “modesty” yet they don’t feel shy spending the whole day backbiting about others. Where did their shame go?? [And yes, I have personally seen many people do this.]
If one is ignorant about a matter, then one needs to ask. Why? Because otherwise one of two things may happen:
1) Making the haram halal
2) Making the halal haram
So ignorance leads people to getting confused about what is lawful and what is prohibited.
Another reason that people don’t want to ask about such sensitive issues is because they don’t want people to scream at them:
“You did WHAT in Ramadan? Don’t you know that it’s HARAAM? Do you want to go to HELL?”
After two years of teaching, I’ve realised that many people want to be able to tell those with some knowledge about their problems or ask sensitive/ embarrassing questions, without being judged or screamed at.
Some might say: “Okay, this stuff is important but is it befitting that a woman talks about such matters?”
Well, I would suggest that you read the chapter on Tahaarah (Purification) in Saheeh Al-Bukhari and Saheeh Muslim. You’ll be surprised at some of the personal stuff narrated by the wives of the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam).
They didn’t do it because they liked it rather they did it because they had a duty.
So, I’m just doing this as a duty. Perhaps someone will benefit from this information.
Remember: There is nothing sick about informing people about the rulings of the shariah.
Here are two links which are enough for those who want to know more:
1) All the fatwas from Islam QA related to this issue: http://www.islamqa.com/en/search2/masturbation/AllWords/t,q,a
2) A brother has collected various articles on this issue. It’s a good collection especially for those who are trying to cure themselves of practicing this habit: http://ibnalhyderabadee.wordpress.com/2006/09/28/masturbation-in-islam-compilation-of-articles-and-fatwas/
Note: This issue is not just related to men. Sadly, many woman are also involved in it.
Comments are closed for this post. You never know if there are any sickos loitering around.